Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Managing Primary Raynaud's During Spring - Jane Ogilvie

'Being the proud owner of various animals who live outside, I am duty bound to attend to their needs every day, in all weathers. These images shows the physical discolouration in my hands, caused by a Raynaud's attack. 
The photos were taken after being outside for 3 - 4 hours one evening. The temperature was 14 degrees and fell to 13 degrees in that time. 


Sadly, I experience the same sensation in my feet. 
I currently do not take any medication as the tablets which I tried in the past, gave me headaches and reflex tachycardia (rapid heartbeat due to lowered blood pressure). I did enjoy the sensation of feeling warm again, though!



All in all, I try to prevent a Raynaud's attack by wearing suitable clothing and 'bulking up'. However, as the images show, this is not always a guaranteed, 'fool proof' preventative strategy! It can take up to half hour for me to warm up again, upon returning indoors. The pain in my fingers when the blood is returning and thereby returning to 'normal' colour, is excrutiating- similar to slamming your hand in a car door.'

Jane is a scientist who lives in Nottingham, UK.

Please donate to help fund medical research where 100% of your donation will be used for research only:

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/raynaudsunit-royalfree 

#RaynaudsFreeWorld


To read more of Jane's tips for managing Primary Raynaud's click here 

helpful links:


management-of-digital-ischaemia  

No comments:

Post a Comment