Sunday, 6 August 2017

Silvana Vidmar 14.12.1965 – 22.07.2017 Scleroderma, Raynaud's, Rare Disease


Silvana Vidmar
14.12.1965 – 22.07.2017

Silvana Vidmar 

14.12.1965 – 22.07.2017 


It is with the deepest of sadness, with which I write this post about my lovely Australian scleroderma patient friend Silvana. 

I was blessed to be introduced to Silvana, over 7 years ago, via her, now mine, beautiful friend, Cristina, who had ‘found me’ via social media further to a post I had written about scleroderma. 

As with most scleroderma patients, Silvana and I instantly connected with each other, and enjoyed a very warm friendship, albeit we lived at opposite sides of the world. 

In particular, we would make extra special contact on the winter solstice and the summer solstice. 

For, on this day, we would be experiencing the opposite of weather temperatures to each other. 

Making my favourite day to be the 21st June, and Silvana’s favourite day to be the 21st December, due to me being in the northern hemisphere and Silvana situated in the southern hemisphere.  

I included my special friendship with Silvana in a few of my articles:


Sadly, Silvana was not well enough to take part in my recent ‘patient profiles research’ campaign for scleroderma awareness 2017. Index  

Silvana will always hold a special place in my heart.  

Her memory will most definitely live on by the global scleroderma and Raynaud’s community.  

I feel extremely blessed to have had such a special friendship with Silvana, and have immense gratitude to Cristina for bringing us together, whom, has kindly written the following, about our lovely friend Silvana: 

‘Silvana was diagnosed with Raynaud’s and Scleroderma in 2000. 

She surpassed her prognosis by 7 years. 

She came from a close, loving family and was the only girl of 4 children. 

She travelled extensively and never shielded away from adventure. She was involved in sport all of her life, until the illness became debilitating. She even volunteered as an interpreter at the 2000 Olympics. 

Her achievements were many and varied, but it never showed to those who did not know her, as Silvana was quiet, unassuming and ever so humble. 

To we who were close to here, she was a devoted, non judgemental and loyal friend. 

A tower of strength and positivity in the face of adversity, rarely saying how the illness made her feel, because pity did not exist in Silvana’s world. 

Silvana’s integrity, courage, loyalty and loving heart will live on in all who she touched.’ 

Silvana and Cristina shortly after Silvana had first been diagnosed with Scleroderma


RIP SILVANA VIDMAR 



#SclerodermaFreeWorld



No comments:

Post a Comment